Embracer Group, a renowned video game company, has stirred the gaming world with the announcement that the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) remake is still under development. The remake, which was first revealed in September 2021 in a short trailer during a Sony showcase, is expected to be released for PS5 and PC.
However, the fate of the project has been uncertain since July 2022, when Bloomberg reported that development on the remake was paused after a demo was shown to Lucasfilm and Sony. According to Bloomberg, Embracer Group decided to move the development from Aspyr Media, which is known for its ports of KOTOR and KOTOR II, to a Saber Interactive studio in Eastern Europe. Saber Interactive had been helping with development on the remake, but it was not clear whether it had officially taken over the project until last week.
In its earnings report published on May 24, 2023, Embracer Group confirmed that one of its AAA projects had transitioned to another studio within the group. “This was done to ensure the quality bar is where we need it to be for the title,” Embracer wrote. Although the report did not explicitly name the KOTOR remake, it was widely assumed to be the game in question.
When asked by investors about the status of the KOTOR remake during a recent investor call, Embracer Group’s CEO Lars Wingefors refused to comment. “I don’t want to give any more comments regarding that title,” he said. This left many fans wondering whether the game was still in development or facing further delays.
The KOTOR remake is one of the most anticipated games among Star Wars fans, as it promises to bring back the iconic RPG that was originally released in 2003. The game is set thousands of years before the events of the movies and follows a customizable character who becomes a Jedi and faces a Sith threat. The game is praised for its rich story, memorable characters, and moral choices.
Embracer Group has not announced a public release date for the KOTOR remake, nor has it revealed any gameplay footage or screenshots.
What we know about the KOTOR remake so far
While details are scarce about the KOTOR remake, some information has been shared by various sources over time. Here are some of the things we know about the game so far:
- The game is being developed by Aspyr Media and Saber Interactive, both of which are subsidiaries of Embracer Group. Aspyr Media has previously ported several Star Wars games to modern platforms, including KOTOR and KOTOR II. Saber Interactive has worked on games such as World War Z and Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
- The game is being remade from the ground up with modern tech and features, while maintaining the integrity of the original story and characters. Aspyr Media’s lead producer Ryan Treadwell wrote in a PlayStation blog: “We’re rebuilding it from the ground up with the latest tech to match the groundbreaking standard of innovation established by the original, all while staying true to its revered story.
- The game will be a console exclusive for PS5 at launch, but it will also release on PC. It is not clear whether it will be a timed exclusive or a permanent one for Sony’s console.
- The game will feature Revan, one of the most popular characters in Star Wars Legends lore. Revan was a Jedi who turned to the dark side and became a Sith Lord, before redeeming himself and returning to the light. The teaser trailer showed Revan’s iconic mask and lightsaber.
- The game will be set 4,000 years before the events of the Skywalker Saga, in an era where Jedi and Sith were at war. The game will explore various planets and cultures in the Star Wars galaxy, such as Taris, Dantooine, Tatooine, Kashyyyk, Manaan, Korriban, and Rakata Prime.
- The game will have a diverse cast of characters that can join or oppose the player’s party. Some of these characters include Bastila Shan, Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Zaalbar, Canderous Ordo, Juhani, Jolee Bindo, HK-47, T3-M4, and Darth Malak.
- The game will have a dynamic combat system that combines real-time and turn-based elements. The player will be able to customize their character’s skills, feats, powers, equipment, and alignment. The game will also have multiple endings depending on the player’s choices.
Why fans are excited about the KOTOR remake
The KOTOR remake has generated a lot of hype among Star Wars fans for several reasons. Here are some of them:
- The original KOTOR is widely regarded as one of the best Star Wars games ever made. It won numerous awards and accolades when it was released in 2003. It has also influenced many other Star Wars media since then.
- The original KOTOR introduced many new elements to Star Wars lore that have become fan favorites. These include Revan and his mask, HK-47 and his witty dialogue, Bastila Shan and her battle meditation power, Darth Malak and his jawless face, and more.
- The original KOTOR had a compelling story that explored themes such as redemption, betrayal, identity, morality, and destiny. It also had a shocking twist that surprised many players.
- The original KOTOR had a rich gameplay experience that allowed players to create their own Jedi or Sith character and shape their own path through the galaxy. It also had a lot of replay value due to its branching narrative and multiple endings.
- The KOTOR remake promises to deliver a modernized version of this classic RPG with improved graphics, soundtrack, voice acting, and gameplay mechanics. It also promises to stay faithful to the original vision while adding some new features.
There is no official release date for the KOTOR remake yet. The game is still under development by Aspyr Media and Saber Interactive, and it has faced some delays and changes in the past. The game will be a console exclusive for PS5 at launch, but it will also release on PC.
The KOTOR remake will be a complete overhaul of the original game with modern tech and features. The game will have improved graphics, soundtrack, voice acting, and gameplay mechanics. The game will also stay faithful to the original story and characters, while adding some new features.